Random thoughts about APOC and other issues

Monday, March 1, 2010

Power Law Distributions and Brand Evangelism

Clay Shirky points out how the Power Law explains how content is created on the on-line space. The web is full of examples of this "great imbalance" of participation, like Wikipedia. More locally, for instance, when I was trying to look for the restaurant with the best Yelp's ranking in Burbank I found it was Studio Cafe Magazzino with four and half stars. The restaurant has been reviewed (until this afternoon) 43 times. From those 43 reviewers only six had written 200 or more reviews in total. From those six one had more than a 1000 reviews and the second close to him had about 500. This is really helpful to understand online communities, in particular corporate communities. How important? I believe that those super contributors can be target to become a x-brand's evangelist. These fans will be the people retwittering and blogging about your ideas and products. This also changes the dynamic of mass media advertising. As a company, why would you spend a lot of your resources to randomly targeting your prospective costumers if you could just win the trust of your fans to take the message more effectively? I don't know. And I still haven't tried Studio Cafe and when I do I won't be writing a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment