Random thoughts about APOC and other issues

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl Ads and Flo TV

ManCrunch Crunches the Super Bowl Ad Game... Scott Sles analyzes in his blog how Mancrunch outsmarted the media (in this case CBS) and benefited from the controversy of not being able to buy space in the Super Bowl. I agree. It was a great way to get publicity without paying for it. He also mentions that he wasn't impressed with any of the ads. I have to disagree with that one. I thought that the Google commercial was really smart and told a story in a very simple but emotional way.

Another commercial that captured my attention was Flo TV. It was not because of the ad, but for the product. I'm not sure about how new the technology is (I believe the I-phone has similar capability) but with the Flo TV device you can watch TV from any place you have a connection. There are three ways to access it: through your cell phone, your car entertainment system and with your personal television. The price of the small TV was $200 on Amazon.com. I checked Flo's website and couldn't find the subscription price.

Could this be a great way for TV to recover some of the advertising money? I think this could be part of the solution. The service will give viewers a way to watch their shows anytime they want, but also be able to get live news or sport events, even in their cars and with a clear picture and no download waiting time (at least that's what they promise). The device is small enough that you can carry in a purse or even your pocket, but it should have a better picture quality that most cell phones. That should make it attractive. How about competitors? May be the I-phone, but I can't think of others. It has great potential because I believe that eventually these mobile devices will find a way to incorporate the internet to their products. It will be interesting to see how and when.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, the google ad was incredible simple, but so beautiful and powerful. I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete