Random thoughts about APOC and other issues

Thursday, April 15, 2010

"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

The title made me do it. I picked Joe Trippi's book, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" because the title has a connection to a personal experience that I had as a reporter. Back in 2002 (may be it was a year later, I don't recall exactly), the news broke of a coup d'etat in Venezuela, just a few months after I had interviewed President Chavez while he was visiting the U.N. in New York. When I heard the news, I was a little concerned about his security and to be honest, his life. It's not that I like Chavez' policies, but when something like that happens it can end tragically. But Venezuelans had other plans. During the time he was out of power, thousands of Venezuelans protested in the streets and, miraculously, Chavez was back in the presidential palace after only a few hours. Believe it or not, while they protested in the streets, Venezuelan TV was showing the "new government" press conferences' or airing soup operas (at the time, most stations were against Chavez regime and supported the golpistas). During that time, two film makers who were in Venezuela recorded the whole ordeal which became a documentary, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised." But Joe's book has nothing to do with this event, I found out later. The original "Revolution" title it's a poem and song written by an African American writer linked to the Black Panther movement. I heard the song the other day and kind of liked it. You'll hear more about the book next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment