Random thoughts about APOC and other issues

Monday, April 12, 2010

Hispanos 2.0

The reading for today's class is eyeopening, to say the least. Don't you agree? I really enjoyed Jane McGonigalon on TED's website. While I was reading the assignment I checked the "Hispanic Market" section on the Future of Media blog. I would like to do this for you, to save you sometime: synthesize the main points that the writer makes about the Hispanic market and give you my make take on it. What should you know this? Well, if you're going to work in social media or will have your own business, chances are that you will have to deal with Pedro or Jose or in a worst case scenario with Roberto. So, Maria Lopez-Knowles wrote the myths and truths of the Hispanic market (my comments in parenthesis).

1. The Hispanics market is Spanish language dominant. Myth.
"U.S. born Hispanics are English-language dominant and engage with English language media (60% of today’s Hispanic market), while the first generation (40% of the market) is primarily Spanish-language dominant."
(I agree, to a certain extend. It depends on the market. If you're in Miami it's Spanish Language dominant. In L.A? Probably English.)
2. The Hispanic Market is not online: Myth
"second-generation Hispanics spend more time online than with any other medium. In fact, among Internet users, more English-language dominant Hispanics have a blog than ANY OTHER demographic group (eMarketer.com)."
(I agree 100%, but I will also note that the first generation [immigrants] are becoming very active recently)
3. The Hispanic Market is brand loyal: Myth
"First generation Hispanics show much greater brand loyalty than second-generation Hispanics; yet, the second-generation is the brand influencer within a multi-generational family."
(Agree. Except it goes both way, depending on the product. What I mean to say is that "mama" will influence her kids about certain products [for instance, food] and vice-versa).

Lopez Knowles seems to count "third generation" and "fourth generation" as part of the Hispanic market. I have my doubts...when do you stop becoming "Hispanic" american? It depends, but if you lose your language, connection to your ancestry, and you were born here... can we just call you an "American"?

No comments:

Post a Comment